Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Blue Belt for Life!!! 'TUDE!

Blue belt is when you're officially not a newb anymore yet you're still "just a blue belt".

At this point you've figured out that a headlock isn't your best friend and secret move after all. You've also discovered that that blue belt over there smashes a whole lotta people and the blue belt over here (moi!) does not. There is quite a broad spectrum of abilities within the blue belt category and it can be frustrating.

HOWEVER, one thing about being a blue belt is that you are in a somewhat happy medium of expectations and challenges. Yes, you should know some things and do them fairly well BUT, you're not expected to be a pro at every move, and really, all you gotta do is put your heart out on the mat. THERE! I put something serious in my blog already (Just for YOU, Vu!).

One rule *I think* about being a "Blue Belt for Life!!!" is always training like you're at the bottom aiming for the very top. You've got nothing to lose and everything to battle for. I hope that if I ever do get past the blue belt level, I'll keep this mind set for ever and ever and ever......



Ummm... quick sidetrack for the above ending paragraph:
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/ending-prepositions.aspx

2 comments:

  1. This is a great explanation, I had no idea what it meant to be a blue belt and the challenges a blue belt faces. Would you compare it to an orange belt in Capoeira? That is the belt I am going for. It seems the same, like you're expected to know some great things yet you are not expected to be pro. I like that explanation.

    And training with all your heart thinking, "what have I got to lose" is a neat mental place to train from. I love your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm... I think an intermediate/advanced blue belt is similar to an orange cord in Capoeira Brasil? It's hard to compare because we only have white, blue, purple, brown, and black whereas capoeira has a few more colors thrown in there plus the half cords... but as they say, the belt is just to hold your pants up, right? ;P

    ReplyDelete