Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I want THAT!

I want that Vulcan-ness in training. Not Vulkan with a "k" like the gi (although should they ever want to sponsor a non-competing blue-belt-for-lifer, I wear size A0, only blue or white please and not that dark blue because Royler prefers the original blue), but Vulcan with a "c" like in Star Trek. Emotionless. Logical. Better yet, I'd like to be Seven of Nine so I can have an awesome rack too. Wait, those would totally get in the way. Ok back to Vulcan.


I babble about this because sometimes it's hard not to get overwhelmed (like last night) during bad training rounds, days, weeks, whatever.  *Most* everyone has their peaks and valleys in training and even though we recognize that's all it is, it still gets to you.  Well, most of us.  I swear some of my training partners never have off days and never get emotionally overwhelmed in training!  JERKS!


Last night was one of those nights where I just could not get my head on straight and to top it off, my cardio was like that of a cigarette smoking Vegas street walker on a hike in the Himalayas in the middle of winter carrying my pimp on my back.


And of course I always display all of my emotions prominently on my face.


I was so shamefully out of condition that my sparring partner actually stopped mid-pass and asked, "Um, are you okay?"


But at my academy, my instructors don't just let these moments slide.  They always come over after and give me a little talky-talk when I go into full chica mode and get overly emotional and bummed out about my training.  So last night's discussion was about how to "reset" your emotions when you hit a bump in training.  It's a downward spiral for some of us, once we start to feel like we're losing the round, I'm sure even harder for all you competitors out there.  But it's not to say it's impossible.  It's about diverting your energies to what's going on now versus what just happened.  Easier said than done but the only way to figure out how to do it is try.  And to know that it actually is possible.


My goal this week is to have a handle on my emotions in training.  I want to grab that sniveling, emotional, weak little brat inside by the pony tail and tell her to stfu and sit in her corner and lift some weights or something.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Yeah doing "anything" on those emotional days is very challenging. Good thing you are surrounded by teachers that intervene before it gets the best of you. Sounds like you're ready to breakthrough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could totally tell you were out of it as you entered the academy. Your eyes were red and you were trying not to look people in the face. I have had my up and downs in training whether from peaking,injuries, or just being out of it mentally. However, I have stopped setting goals based on others performance and have really focused on being the best bjj player I can be. You have to figure out what your reset button is, it could be a day off, a book, a date, a drink, a ride, anything except jiu jitsu. Find it grasshopper

    ReplyDelete